Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Modest Wardrobe #3

Modesty of the Heart

As I mentioned last week, I truly believe that all modesty should start from the faith of the heart and today's study is really only a few more details for the heart's actions. It is my belief that no matter how good of a women we are, that it will bear little to no fruit if our heart's actions are not first in line with God's plan. One of my favorite verses when on the topic of modesty of the heart is 1 Peter 3:4 "But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price."
I want to be seen in God's eyes as a ornament of great price, wouldn't you? The Lord never changes, so still today women of meek and quiet spirits are of great value to Him.
I will share next time on what I believe it means to live a meek and quiet spirit on the outward but this week I want to focus a little closer in on the meaning of a inward meek and quiet spirit and a modesty of the heart that is in all pureness holy before God. I often think of Philippians 4:8 and what it means to apply this verse in all that it states.
"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."
I once did a study of what each of these main words mean, I wanted to look at this in a way that I could apply it to my daily life. What I discovered was that each thing goes beyond just 'true, honest or lovely', they mean more, new things I hadn't thought of when just reading this verse. Its a deeper challenge when you look around at the world and see all the wickedness...everything is opposite this verse, that's why when we think on these things we adjust our focus to be lined up wholly on God, and by following that focus we will be in line with His heart. 
I cannot share with you the definition of each word due to length of this post, but I highly recommend that you look each one up, print them out, and stick it in Philippians 4 in your Bibles as a reminder!
 And the last but certainly not the least thing I wanted to mention that I believe goes along with being modest on the inward, would be attraction...or rather, the sustaining from attraction. ouch! This can indeed be a hard one to swallow, it has been for me in the past many times. I know many of us would agree that we don't want/try to attract physically, but what about our actions, habits, words, or just over all wish to attract? It is a dangerous place to be, and certainly not one that rests within a humble and pure heart. I think that it is important to ask ourselves the question, why. Why do I want these 3" heels? Why do I think this skirt looks so nice clinging to my hips? Why do I layer the make-up so? Some of the most beautiful women I know are the ones who don't desire any approval man can give, but rather the approval of God.
My desire is to be meek and quiet, honest before God in my thoughts and actions, humble in heart and mind, and a lady of great value before my Lord and Saviour!

What I wore:



This white skirt was something I pulled out of a yard sale pile this spring,
The tank top I've had for a long time,
This top was given to me by a friend,
And these sandles were just given to me by my sister.

Activity of the day::Going to Anchorage to help Hope with her cleaning job!

A quick link--
I wanted to link up to this new ebook that has just come out by one of the authors of a blog I enjoy getting the subscription emails from...A Wise Women Builds Her House. Her book is called More than Rules: Exploring the heart of beauty and modesty, if you follow either links it will take you to her blog where you can find more information on it. I can't wait to read it myself!

Have a blessed week my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment